WHDH Channel 7 news reported that the problem stemmed from a bad mix of pool chemicals that created fumes that caused respiratory issues for some employees. “We had some pool workers in the back of the building. They had 150 gallons of chlorine that is meant to feed a whirlpool that’s in the building. A worker inadvertently added a gallon of muriatic acid to that 150 gallons of chroline, and that caused some noxious fumes to enter the building,” said Deputy Chief Jeff Peterson of the Wellesley Fire Department.
No members were affected by the fumes, according to the club. The club has re-opened.
The Wellesley Police Department is assisting the Wellesley Fire Department at a chemical spill incident inside the Boston Sports Club, 140 Great Plain Ave., that Wellesley police describe as a Tier 1 hazmat situation. The acid spill is limited to the inside of the building, in the pool area, and clean-up is underway, according to the Wellesley Police Department. Four employees of the club have been sent to the hospital for treatment.
Local news crews are on the scene and will have updates.