We received a note last week from a longtime off-hours user of Morses Pond who described being kicked out of the water by lifeguards shortly after 7pm recently, even though it was well before sunset, which posted signs cite as closing time. The reader acknowledged the recent drowning tragedy at the pond, but questioned whether that incident should be prevent citizens from using the pond as they have for years.
We reached out to the Wellesley Police and the Wellesley Recreation Department for clarification of the rules, and here’s their response, in a nutshell:
1) The Beach is closed at 7:00PM
2) All vehicles must be moved out of the parking lot area because the gate on Turner Road will be locked and they will be locked in.
3) The lifeguards will not be on duty after 7pm and anyone who stays will be swimming at their own risk.
4) It is illegal to be on the beach or in the area after dusk or before dawn per Town of Wellesley bylaw.
5) Parking violations outside the gate, in the neighborhood, will be enforced by the police.
Also, check out this Wellesley Natural Resources Commission document (page 34) for more info on town park regulations.
Leave a Reply