Firefighters put out a fire at the Wellesley town forest near Longfellow Pond on Tuesday night that spread over an area of about 100 x 700 feet. The fire, which involved leaves and ground brush, was likely ignited by a discarded cigarette, according to Wellesley Fire Chief Rick DeLorie.
Firefighters accessed the area via Priscilla Road, and revisited the forest a couple more times to soak the ground, which had been very dry.
“Hoping for a little more rain today,” DeLorie said early Wednesday afternoon.
Marianne Laffitte says
Thank you so much to the Wellesley Fire Department! I live very close to the location that burned and I appreciate all the efforts that kept this from turning into a disaster.
Yeah, I ran into some high schoolers there smoking pot just the other day, and I was concerned, among other things, about a fire given the dry weather we’ve had.