Update (12/27/17): The Wellesley NRC reports that the red-tailed hawk has died, succumbing to its injuries on Dec. 22. “Though the hawk died, it was on pain meds and antibiotics at that point, so it was more comfortable than it would have been. It had serious head injuries that were causing seizures, and the hawk unfortunately could not survive that,” according to the NRC.
This from the Natural Resources Commission (NRC):
Today the NRC helped transport a sick hawk to the Tufts University Wildlife Clinic in Grafton, MA. Animal Control Officer Sue Webb found the hawk suffering on the side of a road; she suspects rat poison made it sick (it likely ate a rodent that had been poisoned). While the future of this hawk is uncertain, the story is a reminder for residents to look for alternative methods to get rid of pests and to NOT use poison. We’re calling the bird Rudolph (the Raptor).
The Tufts Wildlife Clinic is part of the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and teaches students about wildlife medicine and conservation practices, with the hope of returning patients to the wild.
The NRC is always looking for individuals interested in helping transport injured wildlife to the clinic; anyone interested can email [email protected].
Thanks to hawk-eyed reader Stephanie Hawkinson for the heads-up on this.