The Town of Wellesley closed the public schools and Tolles Parsons Center for about 2 weeks starting 3/13/20, and had already canceled non-essential government meetings.
The list of events in Wellesley canceled or postponed due to coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns is growing. It’s worth checking in advance before heading to any event, as cancellations have come fast and furious. The latest:
- The Division 2 girls’ hockey state tournament game originally slated for March 15 has been canceled, and Wellesley High has been named a co-champ.
- The Library Foundation Gala, originally scheduled for April 2, has been postponed. Organizers will reach out with a new date once it is determined.
- Wellesley College has temporarily suspended access to its concerts for those from outside the college community. This applies for events scheduled to take place after spring break as well. It has also canceled its Carillon Open Tower (March 12) and Midday Muse (March 19) events for all. The college will attempt to offer live streaming for many of its events.
- Wellesley Symphony Orchestra has postponed its March 15 family concert, it hopes to reschedule.
- Wellesley Youth Basketball has canceled its season-end banquet, which was to have taken place March 15.
- Wellesley Community Children’s Center cancels public portion of its fun run, which had been scheduled for March 21. A silent auction and more will go on.
- League of Women Voters of Wellesley has canceled its Meet the Candidates night, which had been slated for March 12. Read our interviews with candidates.
- The Wellesley Democratic Town Committee’s Town Candidates and Ballot Forum, planned for the Wellesley Community Center on 3/9, has been canceled.
- Friends of Wellesley Council on Aging’s Casino Night, originally scheduled for March 21, has been postponed, hopefully for later this year.
- Schofield Elementary School 5th graders vs. teachers basketball game, originally set for 3/10, has been postponed. Stay tuned for a new date.
- Wellesley College’s Whitin Observatory has canceled its public nights for the rest of spring 2020
- Eric Jackson: Jazz through the 20th century presentation, scheduled by the Council on Aging and the Wellesley Free Library for March 12 at the library, has been canceled
- Saint Paul Church in Wellesley called off its St. Patrick’s Day dinner: “We are disappointed to announce that out of an abundance of caution we will not be holding the annual St. Patrick’s Day Dinner at St. Paul on March 14. We thank everyone for their efforts to date and look forward to next year. If you have already purchased tickets, please send an email to stpaulsocialcommittee@gmail.
com so that we can provide you a refund.”
- This coming weekend’s Junior Festival and Youth Treble Chorus Rehearsal slated to be held 3/13-3/14 at Lincoln-Sudbury High has been canceled. The Youth Treble Chorus Performance has been postponed for the time being, too. 28 kids from Wellesley Middle School and High School grades 7-9 had been selected after auditioning on Feb. 1.
Other events being canceled or postponed? firstname.lastname@example.org
Meanwhile, this from the Evolutions program at Wellesley High: