This page was updated Dec. 2023.
The Wellesley Historical Society is a organization dedicated to preserving and promoting the history of the town. The non-profit’s mission is to collect, preserve, and share historical artifacts, documents, and other materials.
The Society also organizes educational programs and events, and provides a valuable resource for genealogists and other researchers. It plays an important role in the community by helping us to understand our past and how it has shaped the town’s present.
Wellesley Historical Society properties
The Wellesley History Center
The Wellesley History Center, formerly known as the Stanwood House, is undergoing renovations to serve as a central location for exhibits, activities, research, and the preservation of Wellesley’s history. The Society acquired the 5,000 sq. ft. Stanwood House on the last day of 2012 for $1M. The 1916 property is owned mortgage-free by the Society, thanks to a successful 2020 fundraising campaign. Town Meeting in fall 2020 voted to grant the 323 Washington St. property a single-building historic district.
The Wellesley History Center is not yet open to the public.
The Tollhouse, located at 229 Washington St., is the current repository of the Wellesley Historical Society’s collections and offices. But it’s best know around by locals as the best place to score fabulous household goods, many of them donated by Wellesley homeowners in a decluttering phase. All proceeds from the sale of Aunt Bunny’s silverware and linens support the Wellesley Historical Society. (No items from the Society’s historical collections are sold.)
Tollhouse Shop winter 2023 hours
Wednesdays and Saturdays, 10am-2pm