Cross-country skiing is a great way to enjoy the winter scenery and get some exercise. The popular winter sport offers a variety of benefits for both the body and the mind. Here are a few reasons why people enjoy cross-country skiing:
- Exercise: Cross-country skiing is a great way to get exercise. It is a low-impact activity that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and fitness levels. Cross-country skiing works out the entire body, including the heart, lungs, and muscles. It is also a great way to burn calories and lose weight.
- Nature: Cross-country skiing allows people to enjoy the beauty of nature. It is a great way to get outside and explore new places. Cross-country skiing can be done in a variety of settings, from groomed trails to backcountry forests.
- Socialization: Cross-country skiing is a great way to socialize. It is a great activity to do with friends or family. Cross-country skiing can also be a great way to meet new people.
- Challenge: Cross-country skiing can be a challenging sport. It requires both physical and mental strength. Cross-country skiing can be a great way to push yourself and set new goals.
- Fun: Cross-country skiing is simply fun! It is a great way to get outside and enjoy the winter weather. Cross-country skiing can be a great way to relieve stress and have some fun.
Where to cross-country ski in under an hour from Wellesley Square
Elm Bank Reservation
900 Washington St., Wellesley, MA
Beautiful trails along the Charles River.
A few minutes from Wellesley Square.
Trails are not groomed. There’s no snow making. And it’s free.
Weston Ski Track
190 Park Road
Weston, MA, 02493
Distance from Wellesley Square: 10 minutes
Trails are groomed. Snow making.
When natural snow comes down, groomed trails that do not benefit from artificial snowmaking open up on the other side of the road.
Great Brook Farm State Park
1018 Lowell Street
Carlisle, MA 01741
Trails are groomed. No snow making.
Distance from Wellesley Square: 45 minutes
The Department of Conservation & Recreation maintains over 10 miles of machine-groomed trails for cross country skiing on the property of the 1,000-acre Great Brook Farm State Park, which is about 45 minutes from Wellesley Square. From Dec. 1 to March 20, snow conditions permitting, those 10 miles of trails are set aside for skiing only. There is no snow-making equipment at the popular spot, so make sure you check Great Brook’s Facebook page ahead of time for the latest report on trails conditions.
Great Brook has a large rental inventory with skis in every size, as well as snowshoes and pull sleds for pulling children. Machine-groomed trails require a paid trail pass to access.