From Babson College:
Babson College’s Center for Women’s Entrepreneurial Leadership (CWEL) will sponsor and present Women Redefining Fashion, a free fashion show on March 6, which will spotlight women who are innovating and revolutionizing the fashion industry, both on and off the runway.
The runway show is being produced by Sophia Chang, fashion industry insider and producer on the TV show’s finale of “Project Runway All Stars.” Women Redefining Fashion will feature looks from eight leading-edge designers from New York and Boston, worn by a diverse group of runway models who represent the natural variations of appearance embodied by all women.
Chang will be joined by Jay Calderin, founder and executive director of Boston Fashion Week, as well as these participating designers for an intimate, post-show discussion about fashion, passion, entrepreneurism and beauty:
- ShallabhRadhika – ShallabhRadhika is a womanswear line created by Shallabh Mittal and Radhika Choudhary. Their elegant garments are hand-sewn in their artisan studio in New York. Radhika has worked with Alexander McQueen, Vivienne Westwood and Burberry.
- Avni Fashion – Born and raised in India, Avni Trivedi’s accessories are created with traditional artisan practices
- Achk Kombana – Born in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kombana’s African origins and European experiences combine traditional African cloth with structured Victorian silhouettes.
- ELSA AND ME – Swedish born, Brooklyn-based designer Maja Svensson created the ELSA dress—a signature dress for work and the cocktail party that fits and flatters most right off the rack—to empower women to feel feminine and fulfilled in their everyday lives.
- Marimacho – Marimacho is the vision and creation of Brooklyn-based duo Crystal González-Alé and Ivette González-Alé. They transform timeless masculine motifs into modern style geared toward the unconventionally masculine, focusing on fit, style, and the highest-quality fabrics from domestic and European mills.
- My Crowning Jewel – Under the leadership of President Veronica Chapman, the founders of My Crowning Jewel design exquisite head wraps to protect one’s hair from breakage while sleeping, as well as to accessorize daytime outfits.
- Rei Hyunjoo Lee – Rei Hyunjoo Lee uses organic lines, and natural colors to explore avant-garde combinations of oriental themes and western influences. Rei was born in Seoul, Korea and graduated from the Massachusetts College of Art and Design.
- Archangel Boutique – Located in Boston, Archangel is a small boutique comprising the innovative styles of various designers, and specializing in whimsical dresses, jackets, handbags and accessories.
- Fashion Project – Founded by two Harvard Law School graduates, the Fashion Project website sells donated designer clothing and accessories and passes along nearly 60% of the proceeds to a select group of charities, including Autism Speaks, Dress for Success, and March of Dimes.
Date: Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Time: 7 to 9 p.m.
Place: The Richard W. Sorenson Center for the Arts on the campus of Babson College